Apart from the activities under the LabNet, the WHO focus in the Pacific has been on:
- Development and maintenance of quality management systems in the laboratory services,
- Assessment of training needs and provision of training for laboratory workers through face-to-face, as well as distance education via POLHN,
- Support to the laboratories in the area of rapid diagnosis of communicable diseases and compliance with the International Health Regulations 2005 (IHR 2005);
- Support for the national blood transfusion safety programmes;
- Laboratory twinning initiatives.
The main concrete support activities pertain to the development of Laboratory Quality Manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), carrying out External Quality Assessment Schemes (EQAS), provision of training via developing and delivering laboratory courses through the POLHN, and country visits for specific on-the bench training.