The Regional Committee,
Having considered the annual report on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), HIV infection and AIDS;*
Noting the expected increase in HIV infections and AIDS cases in the next few years in the Region, and the potential impact on health systems;
Noting also the high incidence of STDs in most Member States of the Region and the scientific evidence that STD prevention and control can reduce HIV incidence, in particular among commercial sex workers and their clients;
Noting with concern the increasingly high incidence of STDs and HIV infections among youth;
- URGES Member States:
- (1) to strengthen commitment for the support of STD prevention and control programmes;
- (2) to mobilize additional resources for these programmes;
- (3) to strengthen the epidemiological surveillance of STDs, HIV infection and AIDS.
- (4) to further strengthen STD and HIV health promotion campaigns, prevention and control programmes, particularly those targeting commercial sex workers, their clients, injecting drug users and youth;
- REQUESTS the Regional Director:
- (1) to further strengthen technical collaboration with Member States in the prevention and control of STDs and HIV/AIDS and strengthen the technical capability within WHO;
- (2) to continue to improve the regional surveillance system on STDs, HIV and AIDS;
- (3) to intensify WHO participation in UNAIDS theme group activities at country level, and coordination and implementation of UNAIDS activities at regional and national levels;
- (4) to continue to identify and mobilize resources for STD and HIV/AIDS activities, particularly for youth;
- (5) to continue to report annually to the Regional Committee on the situation of STDs and HIV/AIDS in the Region, and on developments relating to UNAIDS.