The Regional Committee,
Having considered the resolution of the Twelfth World Health Assembly on the provision of safe and adequate water supplies for communities * and the report of the Regional Director, **
Recognizing that the provision of community water supplies depends upon the closely co-ordinated efforts of public health authorities and public works departments.
- 1. ENDORSES the recommendations of the Twelfth World Health Assembly and the principles set forth in the report of the Regional Director;
- 2. REQUESTS the Regional Director to give as much assistance as possible to Member States undertaking projects to provide adequate and safe supplies of water to the inhabitants of their communities;
- 1. RECOMMENDS to the health authorities of Member States:
- (1) that they stimulate the initial installation and orderly growth of public water supplies;
- (2) that they take the necessary steps to ensure representation by the health authorities on the national and local policy-making bodies on such subjects as water resources, water usage and water supply development;
- (3) that they prepare a long-term programme for the organization of national projects in the development of community water supplies, including small water supply projects for rural areas; and
- 2. EXPRESSES interest in the proposed regional conference on community water supply and suggests that public health workers and public works administrators should be among the participants.
* See resolution WHA12.48 (WHO Handbook of Resolutions and Decisions, Vol I, 1973, pp.148-149)