The Regional Committee,
Noting resolution WHA4.80 of the Fourth World Health Assembly*,
RECOMMENDS to all governments that they take urgent steps to improve sanitary and environmental conditions in and around ports and airports and, in particular, that they intensify measures to:
(1) eliminate and prevent the breeding of rodents, mosquito vectors of human diseases and octoparasites;
(2) eliminate infection of cholera by providing, inter alia, pure water and food supplies and services for the proper disposal of human wastes;
(3) raise the level of protection, by vaccination where appropriate or by other means, against plague, cholera, yellow fever, smallpox and typhus; and
(4) relax, when necessary and health circumstances are satisfactory, the application to their territories of appropriate Articles of the WHO Regulations No. 2.
* WHO Handbook of Resolutions and Decisions, Vol. I, 1973, p. 64-65.